Fall

Fall
My Favorite Time of the Year

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Taco Seasoning





I'm trying very hard to quit having to use anything in a packet. Unfortunately when you have the convenience of packets you also have the problem with the ingredients in the packet mix that might not be the best for you. So little by little I am finding home made alternatives to the occasional packet I would buy. Here is the latest. I adapted this from one I found on line. The great thing about taco seasoning is that you can adjust it very easily to suit you tastes. I have mentioned before that I grind my own beef rather than buy hamburger meat. What I do is mix the seasoning in with the ground meat/beef and add some onions and fry it with a little oil in the bottom of the pan (it can be dry because it is super lean being that I grind up lean roasts.) So if you want you might add a little water or beef broth to your meat once it is done and let it simmer till it is absorbed.
I use about 3TBL. per pound of ground meat.

Taco Seasoning
5 Tbl. chili powder
8 tsp. cumin
8 tsp. paprika
5 tsp. oregano
5 tsp. salt
3 tsp. garlic powder
3 tsp. onion powder
4 tsp. cayenne pepper

Mix and store in air tight container. Use 3Tbl. per pound of ground meat (or more or less based on your tastes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment