Fall

Fall
My Favorite Time of the Year

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

My Grandma Doris's Sweet & Sour Cabbage



As I said in my post for Grumbersnitz & Kniffles, there wasn't anything my Grandma Doris ever made that I didn't love. This is yet another of her dishes that I loved. You can use regular green cabbage or red or mix them. I make pork tenderloin with this. They just go great together. Of course I have some mashers to go with it. But right now lets just discuss Sweet & Sour Cabbage. Being German she seemed to like recipes with vinegar. Yeah baby.  I will list her German Potato Salad soon. I have always cooked by just adding stuff without measuring. So I will have to make it and measure it all out. But for now here is her awesome Sweet & Sour Cabbage.

Sweet & Sour Cabbage by Grandma Doris

8 pieces of bacon (I use applewood smoked bacon. It is simply the best.)
1 large onion, chopped
1 (16oz) can stewed tomatoes. (her recipe says 1 pound, but she home canned and I don't. So I just work it out.)
1 medium head of cabbage (cut up into bite size pieces.)
1 Tbl. sugar
3 Tbl. vinegar (I use apple cider vinegar. She didn't specify which vinegar to use.)

Cut bacon into small pieces and brown till crisp in pan (large enough to hold the cut up cabbage.) Remove bacon and add onion to pan and fry till tender. Add tomatoes, sugar, vinegar. simmer a few minutes. Add cabbage. Bring to a boil and the reduce to a simmer. cover and simmer till the cabbage is tender (she said about one hour.) Add back the bacon and heat through. Season if necessary. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment