Fall

Fall
My Favorite Time of the Year

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Chicken Marsala


Chicken Marsala is probably one of my favorite recipes. I have struggled with getting it right for a long time. It just never quite had the flavor I wanted to capture. I like a sweeter Marsala sauce. With trial and error I have come up with one that I think works pretty well. Like anything work with a recipe and make it your own. Thats what I did. I serve this with Roasted garlic mashed potatoes and roasted asparagus with garlic butter and Parmesan cheese. Makes for a highly rich dinner that you need a good Chianti to wash it down with. Buon Apptito. 


Chicken Marsala: This is for 8 chicken breasts that are split in two for 16 pieces.. Again, my family is a large one and they always eat at least two pieces which is only the equivalent to one chicken breast each.

8 boneless skinless chicken breasts, each piece split in two length wise. 
salt and pepper
1/2 Cup all purpose flour or more
up to 1/2 cup olive oil (this is for frying. So as much as you end up needing.)
3 (8 oz.) containers of mushrooms (cleaned and sliced) Also use as many as suits your personal tastes.
8 Tbl. butter
2 cups Sweet Marsala wine
1 1/2 cups sweet chiante wine
1 cup sweet sherry
1 box chicken stock
8 Tbl. heavy cream
4 pieces of good bacon
Parsley to garnish

1/2 cup chianti wine with 1-2 Tbl. cornstarch, for thickening the sauce. Again this is a personal taste thing. I like my sauce a little thicker.

Split chicken breast through the middle length wise to make it two pieces. Pound each piece out to flatten them some and make them uniform thickness, about 1/4" thick. Season with salt and pepper and dredge in flour. 
Fry bacon in skillet and remove. Leave the grease in the skillet and add oil and over med-high heat cook the chicken till golden brown on each side. Remove and keep warm. Reduce heat and add butter and mushrooms. Saute 4-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add all wines, sherry, chicken stock. Allow to reduce. Add cream and test for seasoning. Add the wine/cornstarch mixture if using and thicken sauce. Pour over chicken and top with bacon pieces and chopped parsley, serve. 
You can also grill your chicken over coals outside and that gives the chicken a wonderful flavor with the Marsala sauce. YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment