Fall

Fall
My Favorite Time of the Year

Monday, October 24, 2011

It's that "Fair" time of year. Its time for Funnel Cakes.



One of the blogs I love to look at has posted a lot of  "State Fair" recipes. Oh how fun. The one that was missing is funnel cake. Now I haven't had a funnel cake purchased out in years. I just bring myself to pay $6 for a funnel cake. Since this blog got me all hungry for the artery clogging yumminess of fair foods I thought I would post this recipe. 
If you have ever watched them make funnel cakes at the fair they use these rings that they pour the funnel cakes into. I just use my 10 1/2" cast iron skillet. I don't use this skillet much because it is generally too small for most things but perfect for funnel cakes. 
Top these lovely babies with powdered sugar and or strawberries, whip cream. YUM! I hope you like them.


Funnel Cake
3 eggs
2 Cups milk ( I actually had to use more to get it thin enough. Maybe a cup or more. It needs to run through the funnel. So the batter needs to be just thin enough to run through the funnel. If it helps watch a youtube video of them being cooked to see the consistency of the batter.)
4 Cups flour
1/4 Cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder

Beat eggs, milk and sugar. Sift together flour, salt, baking powder. Add dry ingredients to wet. Beat batter till smooth. Batter should be thin enough to run through a funnel. Now this is where you decide how you want to do it. You can use a funnel or a small measuring cup. If your using a funnel, fill the funnel up and keep your finger on the bottom. Remove your finger from the bottom of the funnel and let the batter drain into the hot grease swirling it as you go. Who cares how your end product looks as long as it tastes good and tastes like funnel cake. Heat oil up to 350- 375 degrees. Pour batter into pan till it is well swirled and full (about 3/4-1 Cup batter. This depends on how big your pan is and how thick you want your funnel cakes to be. After you start you will figure out what works best for you.) cook till golden brown on one side and carefully flip and cook the other side till  golden brown.
drain a second on a paper towel and transfer to a plate and sift powdered sugar on top. We like a little funnel cake with our powdered sugar at my house. The more sugar the better. 
Good luck and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment