Fall

Fall
My Favorite Time of the Year

Friday, October 14, 2011

Potato Basil Frittata served with Orange Yogurt with Granola


I generally don't like breakfast casseroles. This is the exception to that rule. I love love love this. It is adapted from a recipe by the Barefoot Contessa on Food Network. I make her orange yogurt topped with granola to go with it.
Lets start with the frittata.

Potato and Basil Frittata
8 Tbl. unsalted butter, divided
2 Cups peeled and 1/2" diced boiling potatoes (about 4 potatoes)
8 Extra large eggs
15oz. ricotta cheese
3/4 pound Gruyere cheese, grated
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. fresh ground pepper
3/4 Cup chopped fresh basil
1/3 Cup flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder

Heat oven 350. Melt 3 Tbl.  butter in pan over med-low heat. Add the potatoes and fry till cooked through, turning often, about 10-15 minutes.(I transfer the potaotes to a standard glass cake pan 13x9 that I have sprayed with non stick spray) Melt the remaining 5 Tbl. of butter in small bowl in microwave. Meanwhile, whisk eggs and stir in ricotta, gruyere, melted butter, salt and pepper, basil. Sprinkle with flour and baking powder and stir egg mixture. Pour eggs over potatoes. Place in center of oven and bake till browned and fluffy. About 50-60 minutes. It will be rounded and firm in the middle and knife will come out clean when inserted. Serve hot.


This is so good. I start it the day before I'm going to serve it. It is a great fresh taste with the rich Potato Basil Frittata. I purchase bulk granola with honey and almonds to serve on top. The recipe calls for raisins and walnuts. I don't use the raisins because I don't like raisins. I don't use the Walnuts becasue my kids don't like the nuts in the yogurt. So I serve chopped walnuts on top and the granola for those so inclined.

Orange Yogurt
1 quart low-fat plain yogurt
1/4 Cup raisins (I don't use these but they are part of the original recipe)
1/4 Cup chopped walnuts ( I serve these on the side)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 Cup honey
1 orange zested, zest minced
1/2-1 Cup fresh orange juice (I have used frozen orange juice made according to directions if the fresh orange juice is bitter or not sweet enough.)

Line a sieve with cheese cloth and suspend it over a bowl. Pour yogurt into sieve and cover with the cheese cloth ends. Allow to drain for 3 hours to over night in the fridge. 
Place thickened yogurt into a bowl (pour the drained liquid out) and add raisins, walnuts (if using), and vanilla, honey and zest. Stir to combine. Add the orange juice until it is the desired thickness. Serve with granola sprinkled on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment