Fall

Fall
My Favorite Time of the Year

Friday, October 14, 2011

Chicken Parmigiana


Chicken Parmigiana is my son Christopher's all time favorite meal. He would eat it everyday if he could convince me to make it that often. So it is always my great pleasure to make something for my baby boy that he loves so much. I think I am getting more and more like the mother from Everyone Loves Raymond. If you have ever seen that show then you will understand. My hold on my family is through thier stomachs. I pray everyday that my boys will find wonderful, sweet, good girls WHO CANT COOK! Hey, its all I got. Anyway, here it is. 
I serve it with spaghetti with red sauce (The same sauce I use on the chicken for my son.) and I make Fettuccine  Alfredo for me. 
Serves 4. I always double or triple the sauce. 

Sauce
1/4 Cup olive oil 
1 medium onion chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
2 bay leaves
1/2 Cup Kalamata olives, pitted (this is optional. Sometimes I use them and sometimes I don't.)
1/2 bunch fresh basil leaves torn
2 (28oz) cans whole peeled tomatoes, drained and crushed (I use Fire roasted and I drain as much as I can, but don't worry about it too much. I probably drain off about half the liquid.)
pinch sugar
pinch red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste

In large sauce pan place oil in pan over medium heat. When oil is hot add the onions, garlic, and bay leaves. Cook 5 minutes till fragrant and onions soft. Add olives (if using) and half the hand torn basil. Carefully add the tomatoes, cook and stir until liquid is cooked down and the sauce is thick, about 15 minutes. Season with sugar, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Lower heat and keep warm. DON'T FORGET THE BAY LEAVES ARE IN THERE. REMOVE BEFORE USING.

Chicken
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (pounded down to an even thickness 1/4 inch or so.)
1/2 Cup seasoned (salt and pepper, and a little garlic powder if you like) flour
2 large eggs broken and beaten with a splash of milk
1 Cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs mixed with 1/2 Cup Parmesan cheese.
8oz. shredded mozzarella cheese ( I use a lot of cheese. Use as much as you like. We kinda like a little chicken with our cheese.)
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese

Lightly season chicken with salt and pepper and dredge in flour, then into beaten eggs, then into bread crumbs. Set aside and finish coating chicken.
Place olive oil (enough to fry the coated chicken. I really eyeball this and don't measure it) into fry pan and heat over med-high heat. Fry chicken breasts till brown and crispy, yet still juicy inside. Drain on paper towels and place on baking sheet. After all the chicken is cooked and on baking sheet top each one with red sauce.Usually a  1/4-1/3 cup of sauce. Again this depends on how much sauce you like. Then top with mozzarella cheese and parmesan. Bake 350 till heated through and cheese melted and cheese is browned. Part of the flavor is the browned cheese. It should have lots of little spots of brown in it but not browned solid on top. You want the cheese to still be soft and gooey.
Top the chicken and pasta with the left over torn basil leaves.
 Serve with pasta and crusty bread. A good Caesar salad too.

No comments:

Post a Comment