Fall

Fall
My Favorite Time of the Year

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Homemade Breakfast Sausage




I love the taste of breakfast sausage. I don't love the nasty junk in breakfast sausage. So just like grinding my own roasts to make my own hamburger meat. I have set out to make my own breakfast sausage. What I have come up with is pretty good. I'm not saying I wont tweak it more as I think this is a work in progress. This is certainly good enough to blog about. I am going to continue to hunt and try recipes as I know there is an ultimate one out there. Till then this is what we use. I make breakfast sandwiches for all my men using this sausage and of course other yummy stuff. But for now we are talking about breakfast sausage. Feel free to make it your own play with it till it tastes as you like it to. I use a mixture of pork and turkey. You can use whatever meat combo you like. I think it would taste good no matter what meat you use. So here it is.

Breakfast Sausage
2lbs. pork loin (I grind up my own meat. I cut away as much fat as I can and weigh it. The loins are always bigger than two pounds. I freeze the extra till the next time I make sausage.)
1lb. ground turkey breast
2 tsp. salt
3  tsp. sage (if after you have everything in and you cook a small bit you think it needs more sage add more in a 1/2 tsp. at a time amounts tasting after each addition. Just fry small little bites to taste for correct seasoning.)
1 1/2 tsp. savory
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp. marjoram
1 tsp. pepper
4 tsp. brown sugar (this is optional. I don't always add it. Some like a little maple syrup in theirs. What works for you.)
1 tsp. red pepper flakes

After grinding my pork loin I place it in a bowl with the ground turkey breast and all the seasoning. With my hands I blend it till it is all mixed together. I pinch off a piece and fry it to taste for seasoning. If it is good then I make patties and flash freeze them (place on cookie sheet with wax paper on it and put in freezer till frozen. I place them in a large zip lock bags in layers with wax paper in between and keep in the freezer. I take out as many as I need and fry them up. Sometimes I will put just a drop of oil in the pan as these are very lean and have no fat for frying. They are very good. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment