Fall

Fall
My Favorite Time of the Year

Monday, August 13, 2012

You Will Never Make Another "POT ROAST" Again! POT ROAST, POT ROAST!

I'm telling you that this is the best Pot Roast EVER!!!!!!!!!!! I served it over creamy mashed potatoes. I bought a new food mill and ran the potatoes through the food mill and they were so creamy and amazing. Don't know how often I will use the food mill but I have wanted it forever and it made amazing mashed potatoes.
The picture above is the food mill I purchased. They had one that was better but it was $110, so I settled for the second best one. It took a while to get the potatoes through and I will have to play with it some to understand exactly how to use it. It did do everything that they say where the potatoes were concerned. They were absolutely creamy and smooth and delish. I will list the mashed potato recipe another time.

Ok the most amazing pot roast in the world. Here's what I did:

4-5lbs of boneless chuck roast (I purchased mine as Costco and it was actually two roasts.)
2 onions, skins removed and cut into fourths (don't separate the onion layers.)
6-8 med. size carrots cleaned and cut into 2 -3 inch chunks (I cleaned them but did not peel them.)
8 ounces of mushrooms cleaned and cut in half or fourths (optional. Sometimes I use them and sometimes I don't.)
2-4 Tbl. olive oil
1 Cup red wine (I used a good Chianti that we drink often.)
Beef broth (enough to fill the pan 3/4 of the way up the side of the pot roast. I used 1 1/2 boxes of beef broth to do this. But that will change depending on what size pan you use etc..... I used a large roasting pan for this recipe. The picture is a smaller roast.)
3 Sprigs of fresh thyme
3 Sprigs  of fresh rosemary (the first time I used this I almost didn't put this much rosemary in. It ended up being perfect. So dont be afraid to use this much of the fresh herbs.)
Salt and Pepper

 Clean and cut up the veggies, salt and pepper the chuck roast well on both sides. Measure out your wine, and open your boxes of beef broth. Get your herbs ready.
In the pan you intend to put in the oven to  cook your roast in ( if you have to brown in one pan and cook the roast in the oven in another thats ok. I have a huge stainless steal roaster that I just put over the fire on my stove. I also have a few cast iron pots that I use. Use what you have and do what you need to. It will work.) Add in the olive oil to the hot pan. Place the onions in and sear them till they have a good brown color on all sides. Remove the onions form the pan and set aside. Add in the carrots and sear these as well. Get a brown sear on them the best you can. All the brown is flavor. It makes a difference in the final flavor. Remove the carrots and set them on the plate with the onions. Now place the roast in the pan and sear it a nice brown, then turn and sear the other side. Remove and set on top of the veggies on the plate. Now pour the one cup of red wine in the pan to deglaze (you could use beef broth if using wine isn't your thing but it wont be as good) scraping up all the little browned bits on the bottom of the pan. These bits are where the flavor lives. now add in the beef broth and the herbs. Place the roast in the pan and then the onions and carrots. Place the onions and carrots around the side if you can so that they are sitting in the broth.
Cover and place in the oven set (this depends on how long you have. If you have 4-5 hours cook at 300 degrees. If you have less time maybe closer to 3-4 hours set the oven to 350 degrees.)
Bake in the oven till the roast is falling apart tender.
Once its done remove roast and strain the veggies and place on the plate with the roast. I then strain the gravy into a big bowl to serve with the roast and mashed potatoes. Straining it will help remove the sticks left behind from the thyme and rosemary and also the leaves. I then poured some of the juice over the roast. You could at this point thicken the roast gravy or serve it as is. I served it as is and  did not thicken it. It was DIVINE!!!!!
Don't forget to serve with a side of good mashed potatoes. I don't cook potatoes in the gravy as I don't think it adds anything to the flavor and I don't care for the taste/texture of potatoes cooked in roast gravy. I prefer good mashed potatoes.


No comments:

Post a Comment