Fall

Fall
My Favorite Time of the Year

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Texas Sheet Cake

This is probably one of my favorite cakes. Which is why I only make it a few times a year. I can't stay out of it. My kids prefer it without the pecans in the frosting. I love it with the pecans in the frosting. So maybe they wont eat it if I put the pecans in. I'm crossing my fingers. This is absolutely delicious. I have seen many many recipes for it. This is my mothers. I don't know where she got it but it is the best. I have looked up other recipes and most don't have cinnamon in the cake and that is a shame. It is the secret to the success and complete to die for goodness of this yummy cake. Love it.

Here's what I did:
Cake
2 Cups sugar
2 Cups all purpose flour
1 stick butter
1 Cup water
1/2 Cup shortening
4 Tbl. cocoa
2 eggs
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 Cup buttermilk
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla




Oven 400


In mixer combine flour and sugar. In saucepan  bring to a boil 1 stick butter, 1 cup water, 1/2 cup shortening, and 4 Tbl. cocoa. When it comes to a boil remove from heat and pour over the sugar/flour mixture. Immediately add eggs, cinnamon, salt, buttermilk, baking soda, vanilla. Beat to combine. Pour into floured 15x10 (aprox) jelly roll pan. Bake in 400 degree oven for approximately 20 minutes. Check after 15 and test to see if its done Insert a toothpick into center. It should come out clean. Or center should be springy to the touch.

8 MINUTES before cake is done start the frosting. You will frost the cake as soon as it comes out of the oven. You want it good and hot to help melt/spread the frosting.


Frosting

1 stick of unsalted butter
pinch of salt
4 Tbl. milk
4 Tbl. cocoa
1 box powdered sugar

1/2-1 Cup chop pecans
1 tsp. vanilla
In a saucepan bring to a boil 1 stick butter, 4 Tbl. milk, 4 Tbl. cocoa. Remove from heat and add in the 1 box powdered sugar, vanilla, and pecans. When cake comes out of the oven pour the hot frosting over the cake and spread carefully. Cook and enjoy.






No comments:

Post a Comment