Fall

Fall
My Favorite Time of the Year

Monday, August 27, 2012

Sloppy Joe

Sloppy Joes. What can I say about a Sloppy Joe? It was one of my favorite days of the week at school when we had Sloppy Joes. I also can't say "Sloppy Joe" without thinking of the SNL skit with the cafeteria lady and the sloppy joe song. If you haven't seen it you should look it up on youtube. Hopefully its there somewhere. I have added a video with Sandler on Letterman singing the song. You wont get to see Farley but you get to hear the song. Enjoy

Chris Farley (RIP) was the cafeteria lady and Adam Sandler sang the unforgettable sloppy joe song.
Anyway, it is a quick and easy meal at my house too. My Sasquatches love it with some chips and home made pink lemonade.  If they are really lucky I will whip up a batch chocolate chip cookies.
So here is my "sloppy joe" recipe that was born of many recipes read and put together to create a pretty good sloppy joe.

Here is what I do: You can half it if you like. I am cooking for Sasquatches after all. One thing about it it makes great leftovers.

5 lbs. ground beef (you know I grind my own.)
1 large onion, diced
2 bell peppers, diced
10 cloves garlic, minced
3 Cups ketchup
2 Cups water
4 Tbl. brown sugar
5 tsp. chili powder
2 tsp. dry mustard
3-4 dashes Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper, to taste

add butter to fry pan and fry hamburger meat till done and crumbly (I grind my own meat so I need the butter. You may not need it.) Drain off most of the grease (if any, or liquid). Add the onion, bell peppers and garlic. Stir and fry the hamburger mix together for 3 minutes or so to cook the garlic, onions, and peppers. Then add the water, ketchup, brown sugar, chili powder, dry mustard, and worcestershire sauce. Stir to mix completely. Simmer for 20 minutes or so stirring often till most of the liquid is gone and it has thickened. Taste and add salt and pepper.
Butter and brown your rolls to serve your sloppy joes on. This makes them so much better. Something about the crispy buttered bun. I dunno its just good.
Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment