Fall

Fall
My Favorite Time of the Year

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Zuppa di Gnocchi e Pesto/Soup with Gnocchi and Pesto




It's the time of year that all I can think about is warm fires in the fireplace and soups and stews. Of course here in Texas the state of the Bi-Polar weather system its hard to know how to feel from one day to the next. Keeps us on our toes and in the doctors office with cold symptoms. Anyone who knows me knows I'm a cold weather person, always have been. So Texas and I struggle a lot. But Texas does take pity on me and hands out a few cold days to brighten my fall mood. Now this weekend it is suppose to be 80 degrees! Texas has to remind me who's boss. 
Yesterday was a nice chilly day. My built in winter instincts started screaming for soup. So having seen this on another blog I thought it looked good. I also thought "I'm tired and lazy." Not a good combo if your planning soups and home made breads to soothe your need to feel arctic. This soup was fairly simple. I'm a cook from scratch kinda gal but every now and again when I have "one of those days" (and I'm having them more and more as I age) I try and choose easy peasy stuff. 
This soup was pretty easy peasy. I made cheddar/chive/garlic biscuits to go with the soup. The biscuits are made from the boxed biscuit mixes (I know, I know......shame on me. My Grandmother is rolling over in her grave.) But when your tired and lazy it works in a pinch. Last night was a pinch. However, what I put on the table in my tired and lazy mood was simply wonderful and filling. My family loved it. As shameful as it is I will also list my biscuit mix cheddar cheese biscuits for those of you who also feel tired and lazy from time to time. The soup was a winner for us. I was a little afraid of the pesto being too strong, but don't worry yourself. It wasn't. The broth was delicious. I served it with the biscuits and a Ceasar salad. We also popped open a few bottles (yes, I said a few) of Chianti to wash it down. Then warm coffee and a little dessert cake (I purchased at the store. Oh how the truth hurts.) We sat and ate our meal and drank our wine as we watched the fired dance its dance in the fire place. The soup was warm. The family time was warm. The fire was warm. It was a wonderful family time to be had. We had a guest and I think he didn't want to leave. Who could blame him. We are pretty wonderful.  The meal and company was wonderful from beginning to end.
 
Soup (I double this for my family)
3 chicken breasts on the bone
1 yellow onion, quartered
8 garlic cloves, skins still on
3 Tbl. olive oil
3 pinches of salt
3 pinches of pepper
2 (32oz) cartons chicken stock or broth
1 (6-8oz) jar prepared pesto
1 (16oz.) package Gnocchi
 (the Gnocchi and pesto can be made from scratch but remember I was tired and lazy. I have good recipes for both. I will post them on here one of these days.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place chicken on sheet pan or roasting pan. Place garlic (with skins on. We are basically roasting the garlic while the chicken cooks. It wont flavor the chicken, but is used in the soup. Two birds, one stone kinda thing.)around the chicken but not on the chicken. Break apart the quartered onion and place on and around the chicken. Drizzle the chicken with the olive oil and salt and pepper the chicken. Roast the chicken in the oven till just cooked. My chicken breasts were large so it took 45 min or a little more. 35-45 minutes should do it. Just check the chicken. Once baked allow the chicken breasts to cool. Take the onions and put into a blender. Peel the garlic and place in the blender as well. Pour one box of stock in the blender and one box of stock in pot for the soup. Heat the stock pot of broth up. When it comes to a boil add the Gnocchi. Gnocchi are done when they rise to the top. Just follow package directions for cooking the Gnocchi. Now back to the blender. Add  about 3 Tbl. of the pesto to the blender of onion, garlic, and broth. Blend till completely smooth. Pour this into the soup pot and go ahead and add the rest of the Pesto also. Shred the chicken and add to the pot. We found the soup did not need salt or pepper but you decide about the seasoning at this point. Make sure everything is heated through. Serve with some good bread, or biscuits (even the tired and lazy kind.)


You can find the recipe for the cheddar cheese biscuits under breads on my blog. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment