Fall

Fall
My Favorite Time of the Year

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Macaroni and Cheese


I like boxed Mac and Cheese. I LOVE homemade. In fact I don't make boxed unless I'm lazy and need easy peasy. Thank goodness that isn't often. This is really good. I'm always on the look for the bigger and better but this is pretty wonderful. You will thank me. Go ahead.....I'm waiting......thank me..............
Well fine. Try it first then thank me. Here we go....

Mac and Cheese
  • 6 cups dried macaroni
  • 1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) butter
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3 1/2 cups whole milk
  • 2  teaspoons dry mustard (more if desired)
  • 1 lb. sharp Cheddar, grated (not pre-grated cheese), plus more for baking ( I change up the amounts of the cheeses I use. Sometimes its less cheddar than this and more Gruyere and sometimes its just cheddar. It will be good no matter what you use.) or don't use Gruyere and add velveeta. Velveeta makes it very creamy. Or add all the cheese. it is up to you. Its cheese. How can you go wrong.
  •  1/4 lb. grated Gruyere cheese (optional. It good with just the sharp cheddar and velveeta cheeses.
  • 4 ounces velveeta cubed
  • 1/2 tsp. salt (salt to taste through out)
  •  1 tsp. Seasoned salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper 
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Cook the macaroni until still slightly firm. Drain and set aside.

 In a large pot, melt the butter and sprinkle in the flour. Whisk together over medium-low heat. Cook for a couple of minutes, whisking constantly. Don't let it burn. Pour in the milk, add the mustard and whisk until smooth. Cook until very thick, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low.

 Add in the cheese and stir to melt. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt and the pepper. Taste the sauce and add more salt and seasoned salt as needed! DO NOT UNDERSALT.

Pour in the drained, cooked macaroni and stir to combine. Serve immediately (while it's still very creamy) or pour into a buttered baking dish, top with extra cheese and bake until bubbly and golden on top, 20 to 25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment