Fall

Fall
My Favorite Time of the Year

Friday, December 30, 2011

Zucchini Burgers




My family pretty much loves all things. I'm lucky in that. I have been vegetarian off and on for years. I'm loaded with really good recipes. Here is one that we ALL like. Even my extended family likes these. Now these zucchini burgers can be low fat. Course we end up loading them with Ranch dressing or something like that but you can keep the fat numbers down if you choose healthier condiments.

Zucchini Burgers: Makes about 4


2 large eggs
3/4 Cup toasted wheat germ
1/2 Cup shredded reduced fat jack cheese
1/4 cup chopped mushrooms
3 Tbl. finely chopped onion
1/2 tsp each dried thyme, rosemary, chopped into almost a powder
1 1/2 Cups zucchini shreds, (I just shred mine in my food processor using the shredding attachment. Hand shred if you don't have one.)
salt and pepper
plain dried bread crumbs for dredging
oil (for frying. These can be baked as well. )
hamburger buns
tomatoes, lettuce, lowfat plan yogurt mixed with garlic and herbs, or ranch dressing or whatever you like.

In large bowl, beat eggs. Stir in wheat germ, cheese, shrooms, onion, thyme, rosemary and zucchini. Season with salt and pepper. Now if they seem to wet add in some bread crumbs. These should form and hold their shape without falling apart. Make them about 1 inch thick. If they are too loose and liquidy add in a little  bread crumbs till you get a semi dry mixture . If not then form into 4 patties. Then coat in bread crumbs. Heat a little oil in skillet and fry till deep golden brown on both sides, about 4 or 5 minutes per side. You can bake them. I never have so I would guess bake around 350 to 400 and spritz with a little oil to help them crisp up.

Place on buns with whatever makes you happy and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment