Fall

Fall
My Favorite Time of the Year

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Mulled Wine


One of my favorite holiday treats is Mulled Wine. I first had it in Germany at a Christkindlmarket. This is a German tradition. It is a Christmas market and festival of sorts. With food, wine, crafts etc..... This was my first taste of mulled wine. Oh my goodness. It was freezing out and snowing. It was right out of a movie. We were walking with the children and stopped and got this hot cup of wine. It warmed me straight to my toes. The kids got hot chocolate and I got more Mulled Wine. The Germans call it "Gluhwein" and I call it amazing. Now if you aren't interested in making it yourself you can buy it. I recommend this one. Its the one we drank in Germany and I found it at Central Market here in Texas.

If you want to try your own. Here is a good recipe.



1 bottle of fruity red wine
large zest peices from one orange and the juice from that orange
1/4 cup brandy
1 tsp. whole cloves
2/3 cup honey or sugar
3 cinnamon sticks
1 tsp. whole allspice

Combine all ingredients in either a large pot or a slow cooker. Gently warm the ingredients on low to medium heat (avoid boiling), for 20-25 minutes. Stir occasionally to make sure that the honey or sugar has completely dissolved. When the wine is steaming and the ingredients have been well blended it is ready. Ladle into mugs avoiding seasonings.

No comments:

Post a Comment