Fall

Fall
My Favorite Time of the Year

Friday, December 16, 2011

Chocolate Rum Cake




I love chocolate. I love chocolate and rum. I love chocolate and rum and cake! So what else is there to say bout that!
This cake is wonderful and after you taste it it will make you want to slap your Momma. I can't slap my  Momma cause she is the one that gave me the recipe. So if I want her to continue to throw these little recipe gems my way I have to be nice. This is so much easier than I would ever have thought and it is scrumdileumptious. You think that is hard to say you should have seen me sounding it out to spell it. What I go through. Anyway, it is a perfect holiday treat. You can make it in a regular bundt pan or use mini bundt pans for individual desserts. I think that is what I'm going to do for my Christmas dinner dessert this year.

Chocolate Rum Cake

1 Cup chopped walnuts
1 (18.5oz) package white cake mix (now you could use chocolate. Mom said white. White is what I have always used. So make yourself happy.)
1 (3.4oz) package instant chocolate pudding mix
1 heaping Tbl. instant espresso powder (this is my little addition. My Mom doesn't use this. I think it adds a deep richness of flavor to the cake.)
4 eggs
1/2 Cup water
1/2 Cup vegetable oil
1/2 Cup dark rum

Preheat oven 325F. Grease and flour 10 inch bundt pan. Sprinkle chopped nuts evenly over the bottom of the pan.
In large bowl, combine cake mix, pudding mix. Mix in the eggs, 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup oil, 1/2 cup dark rum. Blend well. Pour batter over chopped nuts in pan.
Bake in preheated oven for 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Let sit for 10 minutes in pan, then turn out onto serving plate.
Brush rum glaze over top and sides. Allow cake to absorb glaze and repeat until all glaze is used.


Rum glaze 
1/2 Cup butter
1/4 Cup water
1 Cup white sugar
1/2 Cup dark rum
In saucepan, combine butter, water, and 1 cup sugar. Bring to a boil over med. heat and continue to boil for 5 minutes stirring constantly till sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 Cup dark rum.

No comments:

Post a Comment