Fall

Fall
My Favorite Time of the Year

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Simple Pizza Dough




This is the pizza dough recipe I have been using forever. It is good. I don't know if its the best out there but it works and I'm use to it. It is from Emeril Lagasse.

Makes 1 (15 inch) pizza. I always double it. It doubles just fine.

1 Cup warm water (105-115 degrees) 
1 envelope active dry yeast
1 tsp. honey
2 Tbl. extra virgin olive oil
3 Cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
yellow cornmeal for sprinkling on baking pan

If you have not had a lot of experience working with yeast it is very important that your water is the right temperature. If its too hot it will kill the yeast. If its too cold it will not activate the yeast properly. I use a kitchen aid to make my dough. But you don't have too. It just saves my arms all the kneading. I first place super hot water in my bowl to heat it up so that it doesn't drop the temperature of the water when I put the water and yeast in the bow. Once the bowl in warm. I pour out the water and dry it quickly. I run tap water till its as hot as it will get and that is always over the 115 degree temp. needed for the yeast. I put the 1 cup of over hot water into warmed bowl. I use my thermometer to test the water and when it cools to 115 degrees I add the yeast, honey and 1 Tbl. olive oil. Mix lightly and let sit till it foams up (about 5 minutes.) If it doesn't foam then your yeast is no good. 
Add 1 1/2 cups of flour and the salt to mixing bowl. Mix by hand or use dough hook on mixer and blend till smooth. Continue to add flour 1/4 cup at a time and mix after each addition till you get a smooth but slightly sticky dough.  You might not need all the flour. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and knead until dough is smooth but slightly tacky about 3-5 minutes.
Oil a large bowl and place dough in bowl turning to coat dough in oil. cover with plastic wrap and a towel and set in warm place free from drafts till doubled in size. About 1 1/2 hours.
Bake according to directions for recipe you are using the dough for. 
If making regular pizza place rack on second to the lowest level. Turn oven on to 475 and bake pizza till dough is golden and cheese is melted and bubbly. The bottom of your pizza should be golden brown as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment