Fall

Fall
My Favorite Time of the Year

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Brown Beans with Kiolbassa Sausage




 This isn't going to be an exact measure recipe. I'm going to tell you what I put in there and the approximate measurements. I wasn't expecting to list this but the recipe turned out so delicious that I just had to add it to the blog. I don't think you can mess this up. As long as the beans aren't over salted or too dry, you will be fine. First I'm sorry to anyone who can't get these sausages. They are the best. Here is a link to their web site. I believe you can order them.
http://kiolbassa.com/

There are no words to describe how much my family loved this. I had a real time keeping everyone out of the pot till dinner was ready. One of my sons who always drains the bean broth off sat and used a spoon to lap up all the broth in his bowl and added more. This is probably one of the best pot of beans I have ever made. I served them with Mac and Cheese and brown and serve rolls (and passed around the Beano) Give it a try. You wont be sorry.

Brown Beans with Kiolbassa Mesquite Smoked Beef Sausage

1/2 a 5 pound bag of dried Pinto beans (picked through and clean rinsed)
2 small onions chopped
2 packages Kiolbassa mesquite smoked beef sausage sliced into bite size pieces
Lowery's seasoned salt (a good dusting), Start with no more than 1 tsp. and after they have cooked a while taste for seasoning and add more if they need the salt. I think they don't need a lot because of the amount of sausage in the recipe.
2 (32oz) boxes of beef broth (MSG free)
1 (32oz) box chicken broth (MSG free) You could use all beef broth. This is just what I had on hand.

Chop the onion and slice the sausage. Add a little drizzle of olive oil to pot for beans and fry onions and sausage till onions are slightly softened. Add beans, broths, and seasoned salt (this is a taste thing. You want this to salt your beans but be careful to not over do it.) Bring to a boil. Turn down to a simmer and put cover on pot. I used an 8qt. ceramic cast iron pot for mine. Was a good size to hold everything. This is the pot I used. I love it.

Let the beans simmer covered and stir often so they don't stick till they are done and the broth has cooked down some. You want it soupy but not watery.If need be once the beans are done take the lid off and let some of the liquid evaporate. But watch close and stir often. You don't want to lose too much bean liquid as they are best if they have lots of liquid (and it tastes soooooo good) Just cook it down till its is soupy and not watery as I said before. You can also thicken it by breaking up some of the beans. This will thicken your bean liquid up quickly.

All I can say is "YUM"

No comments:

Post a Comment