Fall

Fall
My Favorite Time of the Year

Monday, February 27, 2012

Lentil Soup



This is my tried and true recipe. I use to make it with meat stock. Now I use vegetable stock. I will give it to you both ways. It is very good and makes a huge amount. We will eat on it for days.
Though this recipe has curry in it it doesn't taste like a curry dish. There isn't enough in there to really make it a curry dish. Just enough to give it that little something extra. It is an important flavor component.

3 large onions, or two large onions and one leek. Doesn't matter. Chopped
4-6 carrots peeled and sliced
2 Tbl. butter (I don't use this in my vegetarian version)
2 Tbl. olive oil. ( use 4 Tbl. in my vegetarian version)
3 (32oz. boxes beef stock.)(I use vegetable stock)
8 cups water (you can use all stock if you prefer
4 Cups dried green lentils, rinsed
4 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. pepper
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. Herbamare vegetable salt (optional)(most grocery stores have this on their spice isle.)
1-2 tsp. curry powder
1/4 cup sour cream (I don't use this in my vegetarian version)
juice of half a lemon (optional)

Place oil and butter (if using) into large stock pot over med-high heat. Add chopped onions/leeks. Cook till the onions start to soften and add the carrots. Continue to cook for another 3 minutes stirring frequently. Add dried lentils and stir. Add stock and water. Then add the dried thyme, pepper, salt, Herbamare seasoning, and curry powder. Stir. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and cover. Cook till lentils bust open and are tender. Stir frequently as lentils will sink to the bottom of the pan and you don't want them to burn. When they are tender (30-40 minutes) take off the heat and add the sour cream (if using) and add the juice of half a lemon (this is optional. It just brightens the flavors. It isn't necessary though.) Also, season to taste with salt and pepper or more Herbamare.
NOTE: Watch for broth content. Add extra broth or water as necessary. It should be thick but still have a good amount of liquid. You want it like a soup or stew not like a thick mash.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment