Fall

Fall
My Favorite Time of the Year

Monday, February 6, 2012

Healthy Mexican Rice






I love this Mexican rice. We serve this with a side salad of choice and it makes a great meal.

2 Tbl. olive oil
1 small red onion, chopped
1 small yellow onion, chopped
3 small bell peppers, seeded and chopped into small pieces
1 carrot, cut into small pieces
10 oz. frozen corn
10 oz. frozen green peas
1 tsp. ( I use more, but I eyeball it.) chili powder
1 tsp. cumin (I use more, but I eyeball it)
3 Tbl. chopped fresh cilantro
10 Cups brown rice cooked with a little Turmeric for color and fluffed.
salt and pepper to taste
optional: tofu cream (drain soft tofu and mash with a sprinkle of cumin and some salt to taste) I top my rice with a little dollop of the tofu cream. You can use sour cream or nothing at all.What ever makes you happy.


Heat oil in large skillet over med-high heat. Add the red onion, yellow onion, peppers, carrot, corn, peas. Stir fry for about 2 minutes. Then add the chili powder and cumin. Cook another 10 minutes or so until veggies are crisp tender. Stir in cilantro, and rice, salt and pepper to taste. Mix well and cook a few more minutes till everything incorporated and heated through.  Taste for seasoning. Serve with Tofu cream and a side salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment