Fall

Fall
My Favorite Time of the Year

Monday, February 27, 2012

Vegetarian Asian Lettuce Wraps



 Once again I have to thank The Pioneer Woman for a wonderful recipe. I wish she would share more vegetarian recipes with us loyal followers of hers. She was vegetarian for many years before she met and married her rancher Cowboy. So I'm sure she has a good many delicious recipes. I think I will write her and beg.
I made these tonight for dinner. Not only were they absolutely delish, but they were super fast and easy to make. perfect quick week night meal.
I did change a few things. Mainly just the amounts of seasonings. I will list the recipe as she has it and note my changes. Like everything it is a personal taste decision. Also like most recipes I doubled the recipe for my large family and it pretty much was gone.





I know the pictures aren't that great. But it gives you an idea of what it looked like.

She says this serves 6

2 tsp. peanut or olive oil
1 (12-14 package) extra firm tofu, drained well
1 1/2 Cups frozen corn ( used a little more as I had half a bag left and used it all. It was probably more like 2 Cups.)
1 tsp. chilli powder
1/4 Cup soy sauce (I used 1/4 +1/8 cup Tamari Sauce)
1/2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
Romaine lettuce hearts
sliced avacado

Heat oil in nonstick skillet over med-high heat. Throw in the tofu, break it up into very small pieces. Cook till almost all the liquid is cooked off and it will start to turn a golden brown. The dryer it is the firmer it becomes. I use a potato masher to break it up into small pieces. Works good. Stir it frequently to keep it from sticking. Once it has a little color on it add the corn. Cook and stir till corn is heated up (3-5) minutes. 
Add chili powder and soy sauce. Cook till most of the liquid is absorbed. Turn off heat and add the balsamic. Stir to blend
Pile into romaine lettuce leaves that you have pulled apart. Top with sliced avocado (optional.)

These are just great. We loved it. I'm going to take the filling and incorporate it into a stir fried rice as another optional way to serve. It would be good with some crunchy snow peas in it. The options are endless. We will be making this frequently at our house for the ease and the wonderful flavor.
 Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment