Fall

Fall
My Favorite Time of the Year

Monday, February 6, 2012

Stir Fried Vegetables over Brown Rice

Not my picture. I just wanted to give you a visual.
I was vegetarian years ago. This recipe was a staple in our weekly menu. I love it. It does use Mango Chutney which has sugar in it. So if you are trying to avoid sugar, you might want to skip this one. It is not one I make a lot now because we are trying to do away with the sugar and processed foods. But once in a while this really hits the spot.

I double the whole recipe for my family. As written it will serve about 4 people.

1/4 Cup toasted sesame oil
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
one 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled, and minced
1 med. red onion, chopped
2 med. carrots, cut in large matchsticks
1/4 small green cabbage, chopped
1 small broccoli, stems separated from florets and chopped. Cut  florets into bite size pieces.
1 yellow bell pepper, cut in half, seeded, then sliced into thin strips
1/4 cup chopped walnuts

Stir fry sauce: (I like this so much that I double it. It is not written in doubled form.)
1/4 Cup Tamari soy sauce
2-4 Tbl. Mango Chutney or honey

Salt and pepper
Cooked brown rice


Heat oil in large skillet over med-high heat. Add the garlic, red pepper flakes, ginger, and onion. Cook, stirring frequently until the onion softens, about 5 minutes. Add the carrots, cabbage, broccoli stems only, and bell pepper. Cook stirring frequently, until the vegetables are crisp tender, about 10 minutes. Add walnuts, broccoli florets, soy sauce and chutney. Cook stirring frequently for 3 minutes. Taste for seasoning. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve on cooked brown rice.


No comments:

Post a Comment