Fall

Fall
My Favorite Time of the Year

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Pioneer Woman's Beef with Snow Peas

Picture from Ree Drummond blog "Pioneer Woman"


As much as I would love to take credit for this divine creation, I can't. I am a follower and devotee to "The Pioneer Woman" and her blog. This recipe came off of her blog and we had it for dinner last night. All I can tell you is we were in heaven. My whole family loved it. I doubled the recipe for my family (5) and it fed everyone but not like we would have liked (which translates to eating like we are going to the chair. Thats a Danny Devito line about his family. We have always found that it suited our family as well.) The only other thing I can say is "YUM". I served it on Jasmine rice that I added some chopped green onions and a little lemon juice to when it was done.

Serves 8 (I don't even think so. Not in my family anyway.)


Instructions:
1 1/2 lbs. flank steak, trimmed and sliced very very thin against the grain. ( I put mine in the freezer for just a bit and it sliced up nicely.)
1/2 Cup low sodium soy sauce  (we always use Tamari when we cook.)
3 Tbl. sherry
2 Tbl. brown sugar (I doubled the brown sugar. Just a personal taste thing.)
2 Tbl. cornstarch
1 Tbl. minced fresh ginger
8 ounces fresh snow peas ends trimmed and the string thingy (I'm so verbal) removed
5 whole scallions cut diagonally  into 1/2 inch pieces
3 Tbl. evoo
crushed red pepper to taste (optional)
Jasmine rice (or whatever makes you happy) to serve the stir fry on

Place meat on platter and put in freezer to firmn up for cutting. While meat is in the freezer make the sauce. In a bowl large enough to hold the meat after cutting mix soy sauce, sherry, brown sugar, cornstarch, and ginger. Whisk together. Take meat out and slice it against the grain very thin. Place meat in the sauce you just put together in the bowl. Mix to coat and set aside to marinate for a few minutes. I left if for about 15 minutes.
Heat oil in a cast iron skillet (or wok. I used my huge cast iron skillet and it worked great.) When skillet is super hot add oil and the snow peas. Cook and stir till they are crisp tender (a couple minutes should do it.) Remove to a bowl. Allow pan to heat back up and (now I added a little oil each time I cooked the ingredients. So I broke the oil up into 1 Tbl. additions each time. Add half the meat leaving the marinade in the bowl and spread it out and let it sit and sear for a minute before you start stirring it around. I let it sear then did my first stir and then added half the scallions and a light sprinkling of the red pepper flakes which is optional. Stir around till meat is just done. Remove to a bowl. Add the last Tbl. of oil let it get hot and add the last of the meat and repeat the process. Once this batch is done add the already cooked meat and the snow peas along with the remaining marinade/sauce. Stir around to let everything heat up and the sauce to thicken. You can check for seasoning but we didn't find it needed anything. Enjoy!
Serve on rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment