Fall

Fall
My Favorite Time of the Year

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Leaf Lard! What the What?




When I was little I can remember seeing those cans of lard in the fridges of numerous houses. They always had a piece of foil on top rather than a lid. After I grew up I just thought is was a southerner trash thing. Now I wonder if it wasn't home rendered lard. I have to apologize to all those southern ladies that I thought terrible thoughts of after I was grown. I can only say I grew up in a culture where the blue can with the hydrogenated white stuff was what you used and all I knew. So I didn't understand such things. Through my numerous web searches I came across the topic of lard in baking pies. Of course my first instinct is to throw up just a little in my mouth when I think of lard. In the hydrogenated white stuff world I have grown up in lard took on a baaaaad name. So when I started reading about how great lard is I was a little intrigued. I will leave the research to you, but here is the Readers Digest version of what I found out. Leaf lard (I don't know about any other kind. This is what I looked at.) comes from the visceral  fat surrounding a pigs kidneys. I know, I know totally gross. It has no flavor and is better for you than butter as far as the fats go. It is suppose to make killer pastries. I am thinking some good biscuits and a great pie crust.


Here is a chart I found that gives the run down on the  fats and includes the numbers for lard. So decide for yourself.
Comparative properties of common cooking fats (per 100g)

Total Fat Saturated Fat Monounsaturated Fat Polyunsaturated Fat Smoke Point
Sunflower oil 100g 11g 20g 69g 232°C (450°F)
Soybean oil 100g 16g 23g 58g 232°C (450°F)
Olive oil 100g 14g 73g 11g 216°C (420°F)
Corn oil 100g 15g 30g 55g 232°C (450°F)
Peanut oil 100g 17g 46g 32g 232°C (450°F)
Vegetable Shortening (hydrogenated) 71g 23g (34%) 8g (11%) 37g (52%) 182°C (360°F)
Lard 100g 39g 45g 11g 188°C (370°F)
Suet 94g 52g (55%) 32g (34%) 3g (3%) 200°C (400°F)
Butter 81g 51g (63%) 21g (26%) 3g (4%) 177°C (350°F)
I have placed my first order. A lady who lives near me and blogs said this is where she orders hers. I can tell you talking to them was an experience. I ordered 10 (1lb.) containers. So I will let you know what I think. We are doing away with anything hydroginated in my house so this is our first step. This is where I ordered from if your ever brave enough to give it a try.
http://www.dietrichsmeats.com/
I expect to be winning country fair contests with my amazing lard baked goodies. Ok, probably not. But it wont be the lards fault. 

No comments:

Post a Comment