Fall

Fall
My Favorite Time of the Year

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Chocolate and Biscuits. What did you say? Yes, I said Chocolate and Biscuits. Its whats for breakfast.



When I was a little girl. Every Saturday morning we would congregate at my Grandmother's house for breakfast. She would make Chocolate and Biscuits with loads of fried bacon. Now the history of this dish in my family was that is was a poor mans way of using cold biscuits from dinner the night before. They would reheat the biscuits and make a chocolate (gravy) for the top. We of course just thought we were eating the best kid food in the world. Little did we know that it actually had a beginning as poor folks food. I haven't met a lot of people who are familiar with it. I have on occasion found people who have had it. Mostly I think it is a southern dish. I don't think I have ever met anyone who has had it that was from anywhere outside of the south. It is an important family food. It has warm childhood memories wrapped around it. Us kids sitting and watching Saturday morning cartoons while the adults sat at the table in the kitchen. The smell of bacon in the air and warm biscuits, and coffee. Then the yummy chocolate smell floating through the air. That's when we kids came running. It has become a family tradition that anyone marrying into our family had to try Chocolate and Biscuits and they had to like it. If they didn't like it they couldn't be part of our family. In our family if you didn't like chocolate and biscuits you would find a crowd of people looking at you like you had two heads. Your either in or your out, and it all weighed on chocolate and biscuits.
I'm listing the recipe along with a simple biscuit recipe in case you need one. Homemade biscuits are very easy to make. It would be a shame not to put this yummy stuff on a nice warm, fluffy home made biscuit.

The proportions for the chocolate are for 6 cups. This is a lot. It is what I make for my huge family. You can scale it down. This is also on the sweet side. I have made this by sight most my adult life. So there were times that the sugar was heavier and there were times that it wasn't. Of course that would also cause the bitterness of the chocolate flavor to vary. This is sweet and yummy. If it is too sweet then just use a little less sugar. Measuring by sight meant there have been times when it never came out the same twice. It has  always been yummy for us chocoholics. But now I have it down to measurements just for you.
After I put the biscuits in the oven is when I start cooking the chocolate. It only takes a few minutes for this to heat  up and thicken. I usually measure out the chocolate mix and water so that its ready to put over heat. Then I set it aside and make the biscuits. When the biscuits are put in the oven I start cooking the chocolate. This way everything times out pretty closely. I also have my bacon already cooked and just pop it in the microwave to heat it up after I get everything ready.
Chocolate:
11/4 Cups all purpose flour
3/4  Cup cocoa
2 Cups sugar
6 Cups water
1 tsp. vanilla
1 Tbl. butter
In a saucepan put in the flour, cocoa, sugar. Mix it together. It should taste sweet with maybe just an ever so light bitter chocolate taste at the end. Add the water and with a whisk mix it together. Place on med heat and stir constantly (with the whisk, this helps it not lump up after it starts to get thick) till it is a thick gravy consistency. Turn off the heat and add the vanilla and the butter. Mix well.
Now take a hot biscuit and split it open. Put butter on each piece and then top with the chocolate. Serve with loads of bacon. YUMMY!

Simple Biscuits: Now I triple this recipe for my family.
2 Cups all purpose flour sifted
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/3 Cup Criso
3/4 Cup milk
preheat oven 425 degrees. In bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in the crisco until mixture resembles course meal. Add milk, stir until blended. Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface. Knead 8-10 times. Roll dough out (I just use my hands to flatten the dough out till it is about 1 inch thick.) till its 1/2 inch thick. Cut with floured biscuit cutter. I use biscuits cutters now, but for years I just used a glass to cut the rounds out. Bake on ungreased baking sheet for 12-15 minutes. How many biscuits you get depends on how thick your dough is and how big the biscuit rounds are. Like anything practice makes perfect. Don't give up. Like anything you will get better with time if they aren't perfect the first few times.
This is a very simple go to biscuit recipe.

I will also tell you we have this for breakfast and dinner as well. My grown children's eyes still light up when they know I'm making Chocolate and Biscuits. My kids are the 4th generation in my family to enjoy this wonderful meal.





2 comments:

  1. that picture of the chocolate and biscut makes me want to eat the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG now the secret is out.

    ReplyDelete