Fall

Fall
My Favorite Time of the Year

Sunday, February 15, 2015

Daddy's Spaghetti Sauce

I'm not a big fan of spaghetti sauce but this one is really great. It is based on a recipe my Dad gave me and I have adjusted the ingredients to meet our taste buds.
Thanks Dad, this is just one more thing you have done for me.

here is what I do:

6 (14.5 ounce) cans of fire roasted tomatoes
4 Tbl. jarred chopped basil (this comes in a little jar just like pre-chopped garlic does. You can also buy it in a tube. I didn't use fresh as it would have taken way to much to get the strong basil flavor I wanted.)
3 heaping tsp. dried oregano
2-3 tsp. salt
1-2 tsp. pepper
1 whole tube of anchovy paste
6 cloves or more minced garlic
3 med. shallots small chop
1 1/2 Cups good red wine
olive oil

In a pot add 3 Tbl. of olive oil. When hot add the chopped shallots and stir and cook for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and continue to cook another 2 minutes stirring constantly so you don't burn the garlic. Add the dried oregano and the basil stirring. Add the salt and pepper and anchovy paste. Stir and add the canned tomatoes and wine. Stir and bring to a simmer and cover and cook for 30 minutes stirring occasionally. Take an immersion blender and blend the sauce smooth if you prefer no tomato chunks. That is how we prefer our sauce.
Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment