Fall

Fall
My Favorite Time of the Year

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Buttermilk Buscuits

This is the buttermilk biscuit recipe that I use and rely on. I am currently trying my hand at a few different ones and will post the ones I think are worthy. These are very tasty and always a hit at my house. I will make these over the regular baking powder biscuit recipe (uses milk instead of buttermilk) if I have buttermilk in the house. We don't drink buttermilk so if its here it is because I'm making buttermilk dressing or a cake with it. I usually by a big container and just plan lots of biscuits.

Here's what I do: I use 1 1/2 times this  recipe for the Sasquatches. I don't double it as it is a good size anyway. So 1 and 1/2 more makes a large pan of biscuits. I also cut mine pretty thick.

4 Cups all purpose flour 
1/2 tsp salt
6 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 Cup  shortening
2 Cups buttermilk
more flour for sprinkling on counter to roll out biscuits on.

Preheat oven 375 degrees

Sift flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Cut the shortening into the flour till it resembles cornmeal. Add buttermilk and stir till all is together.
Lightly flour counter top and turn dough onto counter and knead until smooth. Roll out 1/2 thick (I usually roll mine much thicker 1 1/2 inches at least. How thick you roll them is up to you.)
Using a 2" biscuit cutter (or just a round glass like my grandma use to do) cut the biscuits into rounds. When you have  nothing but the left over dough pieces from cutting the biscuits then mush it back together and flatten out again and cut more biscuits. Do this till all the dough is used up. Place on a large ungreased cookie sheet close together (you want the biscuits touching slightly.) Bake 20-25 minutes or until they are golden brown. I also test one that is in the middle of the pan. If it is still doughy cook a few minutes longer. If need be take just the outer biscuits and place the inner ones back in the oven for a few minutes to finish cooking if they need it.


          


No comments:

Post a Comment