Fall

Fall
My Favorite Time of the Year

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Caramelized onion rice


When I lived in Germany a friend made this rice for me. She was from Croatia and said that this is how her mom always made it. Its not full of special secret ingredients. Its just simple and delicious. I serve it with my Chicken Kiev (see recipes) and it has always been a hit.
There no exact recipe amounts. Its just a general this is what goes into it. If you can cook rice you will be able to throw this together.
 


Caramelized onion rice:

You are going to make enough white rice to feed your family.
While the rice is cooking cut up as much onion as you would like to put in your rice and cook slowly in a little oil till they are browned and caramelized. You want enough oil to moisten the dried cooked rice. This should not be a dry rice but a moist rice when it is done. So add enough oil to the pan to cook your onions in. I always put all the onions in the hot cooked rice with a slotted spoon and then pour in the oil and mix a little at a time till I have the amount of oil I want in our rice. Add salt and pepper and thats it. 

I will also drizzle some of the garlic/chive butter from my Chicken Kiev into the rice when I serve it together.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment